This morning we decided to drive down to "The Confluence" to see what was going on.
As we approached Slang Road we decided to check out the Stone Bridge access.
We were rewarded with 3 Great blue herons, a Kingfisher and a Black swallowtail (butterfly).
We made quick stop at Brilyea and saw a single Great blue heron. We were surprised that there were no Painted turtles in the pond just inside the Gate on the West access road.
We were also surprised that there were so few Milkweed plants. ( As a matter of fact we have been shocked by the sparcity of Milkweed wherever we have been lately.
On Wednesday we rode the Lamoille Valley Rail from Cambridge Junction to Morrisville and along the way saw less than 20 Milkweed plants. Does anybody know what's going on there? No wonder the poor Monarchs are on the brink.)
Sorry about the non-avian digression!
Finally at the "The Confluence" we had trouble finding a spot to pull over. We managed to squeeze onto to the shoulder at a spot just about where the Hudsonian godwits were hanging out last Fall.
Our vantage point was less than optimal, but we saw at least 2 Killdeer and several Semipalmated plovers ( they were scurrying around so much that we couldn't be sure of our counts). Also saw 2 greater yellowlegs and 2 Pectoral sandpipers.
There were a number of peeps and somewhat larger sandpipers at the side of the main flow of Dead creek that were too indistinct to ID.
Whenever you need a "birding fix" you can't beat a trip to Dead Creek.

Denis & Maria Poley
Richmond, VT

Sent from my iPhone