This afternoon in between waves of rain I went to Union St. to observe the fields at the farm. Crows and ravens were vocal but perched trying to dry. An immature red-tail hawk did its best to shake off the wet, on its rain soaked feathers. Then I noticed a raptor on the ground. My spotting scope revealed a northern harrier preening. I thought it may also have prey but didn't see it feed. After sometime watching  this bird I noticed a raven boldly arriving at the scene. It swaggered right up to the harrier without so much as a pardon me. Harrier moved a few feet out of the way and continued to adjust her feathers. Raven flipped the grass around hoping for a meal. Didn't happen. Harrier finally satisfied with its feathers , took to the air and glided out of view.
Even in the worst of weather one can find a nature moment.
Sue Wetmore
Brandon

Sent from my iPod