I decided to take my kayak and fishing pole to the Retreat Meadows in Brattleboro  this evening around 5:45. For the next hour and a half I spent way more time watching Nighthawks than fishing. Granted, I should have gone to the Don Clark School of Nighthawk Counting, but to be fair I didn't realize I was going to run into them tonight. I ended up sitting in the middle of the West River counting them as they came over the power lines in front of me and finished my count at 584. Not sure if I was just seeing the same 40 birds cycle north up to the I-91 bridge and then back around to Retreat Meadows over and over again or whether there really were that many birds. Seems like the latter. Quite a show.
Pieter van Loon Marlboro, VT