Thereís a resident family of crows that visits every morning to see if thereís anything new in the compost bin. Iíve become accustomed to their many calls, but this morning things sounded different: not the loud, angry yells of mobbing crows but short, sharp calls over and over. I looked out the window and saw the five crows and one lighter-colored bird. It was a large Cooper's Hawk (presumably a female) in pitched battle with the crows. The corvids would fly at the raptor, one, two or three of them at once, and every time the hawk wheeled and chased - and then came back to the tree where the battle began. This went on for almost twenty minutes before the hawk took off with all five crows in pursuit. I can still hear them yelling in the distance.

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center