A client asked for information on the development / origin of the classification system that is typically used in hospitals to describe the urgency of "emergency surgery".  There are levels from 0 to 5 which indicate the timing for emergency surgery (from within 2 hour to greater than 24 hours) which she thinks are universal.   I've searched the usual healthcare databases and found very little (using subject headings / keywords for  level OR classification OR definition* OR timing OR time OR time factors with emergency surgery) and searched with Google Scholar as well.    We are a pediatric / women's health facility and have no general surgery books or history of surgery books in our collection.   I welcome any information or suggestions that list members have for searching this topic.

THANKS!

Darlene Chapman
Manager, Library Services

[iwk logo.png]<http://www.iwk.nshealth.ca/>

Tel (902) 470-6729 | Mobile (902) 476-1658
5850/5980 University Avenue | PO Box 9700
Halifax, Nova Scotia | B3K 6R8

[facebook.png]<http://www.facebook.com/iwkhealthcentre>  [twitter.png] <http://www.twitter.com/iwkhealthcentre>   [linkedin.png] <http://www.linkedin.com/company/iwk-health-centre>   [youtube.png] <http://www.youtube.com/iwkhealthcentre>
[tagline.png]

************CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING*************************
The information in this transmission is intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential,  proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon,  this information by persons or entities other than the originally intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact the sender and delete/destroy all forms of this message and any attachments thereto.