Thanks Mark, that did sound logical and likely, and it might be, but in continuing to check this out it gets more puzzling. Another alert received at 6:27 this am for "j cardiovasc nurs"[jour] delivered e.g. J Cardiovasc Nurs.<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?cmd=historysearch&querykey=4> 2016 Sep 13. [Epub ahead of print] and it has no DCOM, since it was just 1) epub'd and 2) dumped into PubMed
DEP - 20160913
EDAT- 2016/09/16 06:00
MHDA- 2016/09/16 06:00
CRDT- 2016/09/16 06:00

Date Completed (DCOM)
Date Completed is the date processing of the record ends; i.e., MeSH(r) Headings have been added, quality assurance validations are completed, and the completed record subsequently is distributed to PubMed and licensees. This is contrasted with Date Created<https://www.nlm.nih.gov/bsd/mms/medlineelements.html#da>, which is the date processing begins.
It *could* be that I did already get the J Pediatr Oncol Nurs alert when it was first epub'd and then again when it passed through various stages of processing and got a DCOM assigned. I have noticed something similar on other searches when I have searched 'textword OR abc[mesh]'...the alert delivers when it matches on the text word and then again later when it gets assigned Mesh. An alert must be rule-driven, but it would be good to know what the rules are.

I wonder if there is a way to add a parameter of EDAT but no DCOM to a search so you only get it once when it is first added?

This is confusing if this is what is happening and makes setting up alerts in a way much less useful and may set folks up to falsely assume they are in command of the literature coming out in their field. Even if it's redundant and so you ARE getting the current alert properly when it first gets added to PubMed, and then later as it is processed, it is still confusing; and if it's confusing to me, I can't imagine what users think.

Jo-Anne Aspri, MLS
Library | Kent Hospital
455 Toll Gate Road | Warwick, RI 02886
401.737.7010 Ext. 31309 | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

From: Mark Vrabel [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2016 9:11 AM
To: Aspri, Jo-Anne; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Friday question: PubMed alert oddities

This message originated from outside your organization

It must have something to do with the Date Completed (DCOM) being yesterday for the November/December 2015 issue -- PMID 26464508 from that issue shows DCOM 20160915.

Mark Vrabel, MLS, AHIP, ELS
Information Resources Supervisor
Oncology Nursing Society
125 Enterprise Drive