From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Beals, Brynn (Tacoma)
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2016 12:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: SUMMARY: ?Inspirational book suggestions for physicians

Thanks, everybody for your suggestions:

Short stories by William Carlos Williams. He was a physician in NJ, made house calls, treated the poor, and wrote very touching stories about his experiences.
I think anything by Atul Gawande, Jerome Groopman, or Abraham Verghese would be a great choice, though I'm not sure people would see those as inspirations.
I like John McPhee.  I also like Rachel Naomi Remen.  Kitchen Table Wisdom was my favorite
Juniper: the girl who was born too soon by Kelley French (2016) ISBN 9780316324427

Hello, your email was forwarded to my attention. We have published a terrific compilation called On Being a Doctor for the past 20 years. We published volume 4 just a few years ago. It features the "best of" essays as featured in our flagship journal, Annals of Internal Medicine. I'd be happy to send you a desk copy if you are interested. The link to the recent volume in our catalog is https://store.acponline.org/ebizatpro/Default.aspx?TabID=251&ProductId=21315<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__store.acponline.org_ebizatpro_Default.aspx-3FTabID-3D251-26ProductId-3D21315&d=DQMFAg&c=ND-Z_FnoJTOCBd6ZraMT0-wJD0GDS_U0VV_Zq7yxAI4&r=OYPd7QMhNG5fqWYPBTEShbcAN8cG5Drcw41HyNYUs-Q&m=k3OJWPAWxkTzhmqO7lQ_JDNkUq-Ue9I_cVhr5tqE44U&s=czewcwN2HDEhX2rmTLISr1eC-M50W9eCmYJIBgMPq-A&e=>

Also, there was a performance night called Annals Story Slam. Most of the material was inspirational and/or moving in-person stories from physicians. Below is the link for Annals Story Slam. I believe it is open access.

http://annals.org/SS/storyslam.aspx<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__annals.org_SS_storyslam.aspx&d=DQMFAg&c=ND-Z_FnoJTOCBd6ZraMT0-wJD0GDS_U0VV_Zq7yxAI4&r=OYPd7QMhNG5fqWYPBTEShbcAN8cG5Drcw41HyNYUs-Q&m=k3OJWPAWxkTzhmqO7lQ_JDNkUq-Ue9I_cVhr5tqE44U&s=azZX2poA1FtWq8PGcMqz7mLdABW2fM89gqmTQQD_LtE&e=>
Patch Adams' House Calls?  Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but it's a thought.
I would suggest any of Atul Gawande's books...
Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder is a very inspirational book for physicians and the cause of medicine and human rights in general. It's not new, about Paul Farmer and his devotional work in Haiti and the fight to end Malaria as well as conditions associated with poverty and living conditions in Haiti.
Hi, our organization has just finished reading Being Mortal in our health care book club, a lot of people enjoyed that.  I also really enjoyed When Breath Becomes Air, a similar book.

On Doctoring: Stories, Poems, Essays.  Reynolds, Richard, MD and Stone, John, MD.  Simon & Schuster, 2001 (402 pp)

or

Sacred Trust: The Ten Rules of Life, Death, and Medicine.  Hollenbeck, Phyllis MD.  Book Publishers Network, 2005 (120 pp)
I liked Heirs of General Practice by John McPhee one of the BEST writers!
Another great one by Tracy Kidder is Strength in What Remains.
The Soul of the Physician: doctors speaking about passion, resilience, and hope by Linda Henry, James D. Henry (2002).  (Out of print)

Brynn Beals, MLS, AHIP
Library Program Manager
St. Joseph Medical Center | MS 01-62
1717 S. J Street, Tacoma, WA 98405