hI Marvin--

Did you clean the source a couple of months ago?  If not, does it need
to be cleaned? ;)

It can be a failing electrical component--but it might be a loose
connection.  One of the wires may have popped off the source, or the
source may not have been tensioned properly when re-assembled (check
pins holding rods in place).  You can check connectivity (hV OFF!!!) to
make sure there are no shorts before taking the source out too.  IF one
of the heater bulbs fell out, those wires can move a bit and cause a
short too.

Not sure if  the electronics changed much going to 253+.  IF you can
peak at the lens control boards, check the LED's and components and look
for obvious problems, e.g. a chip blew it's top.  The instruments are
generally pretty good at handling arc's, but it's possible that one
fried a component.

good luck!

gerry