Thanks for the info.  Learned something new!

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Raymond Ballou <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Just wanted to mention this here, medical records in education are subject to FERPA not HIPPA.

I am not a lawyer, but I have checked this out several times, since HIPPA came into law.

see here
http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/doc/ferpa-hipaa-guidance.pdf

My understanding is that the difference is bc there is no insurance billing done by the school (this variance may not apply to school based clinics who do billing).

So you may not need to protect the data in the same way in EdTech as you do in Healthcare IT.

If you think about it, almost all education records in the SIS can be overwritten by someone else.