Our SU has 3000 or so kids, we were operating on 200 meg until we got this
second connection, and occasionally saturating it.  With 2 200 meg
connections, we don't.  Our firewall has very nice graphs showing what
we're using, I keep an eye on them.

I'm curious what you mean by "total shutdown of the network".   That
doesn't usually mean internet issues, it has happened here when someone
accidentally wired a workgroup switch in a classroom to different VLANs,
causing the spanning tree protocol to go nuts on the ethernet.