If the school is telling the teacher they have to use the device in order
to perform their duties, like if you want them to take attendance on line,
or check their email daily, or something like that,so you issue them a
laptop, then I believe it would be a violation of their collective
bargaining agreement, and maybe even federal labor law, to try to hold them
accountable for damage to it. As their employer, the risk is yours. If they
want to borrow equipment to do something extracurricular, like borrow a
projector to show slides of their vacation to their Rotary club or
something, then you probably could make them sign an agreement to be
responsible for loss, damage, etc, as a condition of lending it to them.