Has anyone found a way to effectively provide students on IEPs/504s with digital audiobooks?**

**(While complying with COPPAIDEA & FERPA confidentiality provisions, and copyright law)

I believe most of our students do NOT have physical disabilities severe enough to qualify for the copyright exemption under the Chaffee Amendment, which might entitle them to use Bookshare or National Library Services.

Our students have individual Chromebooks to use at school. Our IT department could push out an Audible or Learning Ally app on their Chromebooks. We need to find something that is on demand and seamless. The technology is there.

Does someone have a creative solution so that Special Educators can purchase literature group books in audio format using Audible (or something else) for students, yet NOT have the audiobook tied to the Special Educator's account? (Allowing students to use Educators' accounts opens up all kinds of potential hazards, among which are IDEA & FERPA confidentiality provisions).

We also do not want--nor can we, as our students are underage--to have individual student Audible (or other) accounts. Additionally, once we purchase an Audiobook, we don't want it to leave once the student leaves the school.

We need institutional accounts, so audiobooks stay with the school.

I have contacted Learning Ally and their pricing for a one year subscription is $93 per student, minimum 10 students.

ListenUp Vermont, available through Vermont public libraries -- school libraries can't join now--is not a workable solution. Titles are often unavailable, checked out, or the 2 week loan period isn't long enough for the school unit. Additionally, there is the often cumbersome process of using the Overdrive software or downloading the book. And, most students won't know/have their public library account number.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading!

Ellen Arapakos

--
Ellen Arapakos, Teacher Librarian
Williston Central School Library