Robert - I hadn't considered that angle before.  We are facing the same
issue ourselves, so based on your remarks I did some reading and came
across this:

https://www.dol.gov/whd/opinion/FLSA/2006/2006_03_10_07_FLSA.htm
"any employer policy that requires deductions from the salaries of its
exempt employees to pay for the cost of lost or damaged tools or equipment
issued to them would violate the salary basis requirement ... .  It would
not matter whether an employer implements such a policy by making periodic
deductions from employee salaries, or by requiring employees to make
out-of-pocket reimbursements from compensation already received.  Either
approach would result in employees not receiving their predetermined
salaries when due on a “guaranteed” basis or “free and clear” ... .

"... With respect to nonexempt employees, an employer may not lawfully
require an employee to pay for an expense of the employer’s business if
doing so reduces the employee’s pay below any statutorily-required minimum
wage or overtime premium that is due, because employers must pay all
statutorily-required minimum wage and overtime premium finally and
unconditionally, or “free and clear.”  29 C.F.R. § 531.35 ... .    For
example, “tools of the trade” and other materials or equipment incidental
to carrying on the employer’s business are considered business expenses of
the employer that may not be transferred to employees if doing so cuts into
their statutory minimum wage or overtime premium pay entitlements."

This article goes on to explain that you can charge for equipment that was
lost or damaged due to willful acts or gross negligence - but good luck
trying to prove that.
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/can-charge-employee-breaking-something-18847.html

Interesting stuff!
--Melissa

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Robert Wickberg <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> If the school is telling the teacher they have to use the device in order
> to perform their duties, like if you want them to take attendance on line,
> or check their email daily, or something like that,so you issue them a
> laptop, then I believe it would be a violation of their collective
> bargaining agreement, and maybe even federal labor law, to try to hold them
> accountable for damage to it. As their employer, the risk is yours. If they
> want to borrow equipment to do something extracurricular, like borrow a
> projector to show slides of their vacation to their Rotary club or
> something, then you probably could make them sign an agreement to be
> responsible for loss, damage, etc, as a condition of lending it to them.
>
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 8:27 AM, Edith Fogarty <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for examples of forms that staff sign indicating some
>> responsibility for the school-issued devices that they receive.
>> Specifically, accepting at least partial responsibility for damage.  Thanks!
>>

>> Edith Fogarty
>> Technology Integration Facilitator
>> Bradford Elementary School
>> 143 Fairground Rd
>> Bradford, VT 05033
>> 802.222.4077 x281
>> 802.222.5196 fax
>>

>> *CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:* The information transmitted, including
>> attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is
>> addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
>> review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
>> action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than
>> the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please
>> contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

> --
> Bob Wickberg
> Technology Coordinator
> Brattleboro Union High School District # 6
> (802)451-3418

Melissa Hayden-Raley
Technology Supervisor
Milton Town School District
www.mtsd-vt.org
*NEW* >> Book an appointment online with IT
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/selfsched?sstoken=UU9QVW5GZjJ4Z01afGRlZmF1bHR8Mjc3OGZkNjBkMzNlYThlMmQxZDEyOWZkMGNjMDlmOTg>

--

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments,
isfor the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain