For anyone else headed that way, if you've got an Echo membership, you can visit the Intrepid for free!

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 1:30 PM, Adam Provost <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
WHOOOHOOO!

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 1:26 PM, Caleb Clark <[log in to unmask]edu> wrote:
Just a note that we took the kids to Long Island and NYC  this t-giving holiday after the family-time. We went mostly to see the Space Shuttle in NYC on the Intrepid aircraft carrier Museum.

Upon entering the ridged tent where the Shuttle exhibit is, the first thing one we saw under the Shuttle is a full-scale Star Trek Shuttle from the Star Trek Enterprise named Galileo: City Guide Magazine: See a Star Trek Shuttle Live at the Intrepid.

RIGHT ON! I thought.

The first Space Shuttle wan't originally named "Enterprise"

President Ford changed the name to Enterprise because of rabid Star Trek fans writing snail-mail letters to NASA!

Declassified documents even show this now.

Note advising President Ford before announcing the name.

​"​
NASA has received hundreds of thousands of letters from the space-oriented "Star Trek" group asking that the name "Enterprise" be given to the craft. This group comprises millions of individuals who are deeply interested in our space program.
​"​
- Source: Gizmodo Declassified Memos Reveal Debate Over Naming the Shuttle "Enterprise"

--

Caleb Clark
Marlboro College, Degree Chair, Teaching with Technology: marlboro.edu/edtech

Adam A. Provost, MAT
Burlington School District, VT

President, VITA-Learn
Educational Professional Development in Vermont