De: "Marcos Filardi" <[log in to unmask]>
Fecha: 7 nov. 2016 12:47 AM
Asunto: Stop the persecution to those who expose the impact
Para: "Ana Broccoli" <[log in to unmask]>

> Stop the persecution to those who expose the impacts of agribusiness!

> Given the threats to the team of Socio-Environmental Health of the Medicine School of the National University of Rosario, the people and organizations who sign this letter want to express our rejection to the actions that have been taken against the team of Dr. Damián Verzeñassi during the last weeks and we demand that they be reverted immediately and that full support shall be given to the group that has honored the Argentinean public health with their sowing, example and compromise.
>
> The Institute and the course of Socio-Environmental Health and the last-year practice of the Medicine School of the National University of Rosario has sustained a project of consolidation of an open, democratic university, academic excellency and, more importantly, the service to the people, in which the sanitary camps have turned into a fundamental tool. These sanitary camps are so important that have managed to expose the changes in the profiles of morbimortality in the region in the last twenty years due to a process of constant poisoning after the incorporation of genetically modified organisms resistant to herbicides.
> It is evident that exposing the impacts of such a process in the vital cycles of the neighbors affected by agribusiness has not been easy and has challenged powerful interests.
>
> The confidence of these team over the role that the public university has to play as a service to the people, free from pressures from political powers and or from corporations, has allowed these mechanisms to develop complying with the principles of the University Reform of 1918 and has always made public the data and results of these work in the first place to the community, the neighbors affected.
>
> Regretfully, these way of defending the Public University, of building epidemiological data from and with the communities, of publicly exposing the results that belong only to the people, has put in crisis many interests and the pressures didn't wait long. Today from different areas linked to these interests, from provincial authorities that are uncomfortable with these work and that suggest that the ideal for the Medicine School is to silence the results of the sanitary camps to representatives of agribusiness who reveal their true objectives and also to internal actors with a necessity of individual protagonism, we encounter groups whose interests converge to try to silence those who work so that the voices of the victims can be heard.

> [...]

Jonathan Latham, PhD
Executive Director
The Bioscience Resource Project
Ithaca, NY 14850 USA

“The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country.”—Edward Bernays, Propaganda