This might give you a leg up--take a look at the MESH headings, too.

HTH

Lee Hover, D. Med. Hum.
Lacey, WA.

1. Urologia. 2013 Apr 24;80 Suppl 22:24-7. doi: 10.5301/RU.2013.10619. Epub
2013 Jan
22.

[Management of iatrogenic gynecologic injuries with urologic relevance.
Causes
and prevention of complications: the gynecologist's opinion].

[Article in Italian]

Jasonni VM(1), Matonti G.

Author information:
(1)Toniolo Clinic, Gynepro Medical, Italy. [log in to unmask]

Comment in
    Urologia. 2014 Jul-Sep;81(3):187-8.

OBJECTIVE: To detect and prevent urinary tract injuries in gynecological
surgery.
METHODS: A brief review of the literature about recognition and prevention
of
ureteral and bladder injuries.
RESULTS: It is well known that factors as intra-operative bleeding, pelvic
adhesions and infections, pelvic masses, endometriosis and obesity can make
surgery difficult. For these reasons the study of the urinary tract and the
use
of ureteral catheters may be helpful when alterations of the urinary tract
anatomy is suspected. However the surgeon should always operate under direct
vision of the ureters with a judicious use of diathermy and taking care when
separating bladder from the uterus where the blunt dissection is blind and
dangerous. When there are some doubts about the integrity of ureters, the
control
with i.v. infusion of indigo-carmine or with ureteral catheters should be
performed. The same applies for the bladder: the cystoscopy should be in the
armamentarium of gynecological surgeons to control the ureteral efflux and
the
bladder integrity. To fill the bladder with methylene blue at the end of the
surgery is also helpful in revealing, under the pressure, even very small
lesions
as well as partial thickness of the bladder that can cause a delayed
fistula.
CONCLUSIONS: Surgeons' training is the most important factor in avoiding and
detecting urinary tract injuries. This is important not only for the
technique
but also in the selection of patients, and then in planning the more
appropriate
pre-operative study and in recognizing the presence of injuries during
surgery.

DOI: 10.5301/RU.2013.10619
PMID: 23341201  [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]