> Concerning 'let me google this for you", it frequently comes across as a little
> rude.

That's kinda the idea, the expectation being that in 2016 there's really no reason, in a public forum, to "not know anything" about some topic. You don't even have to stay at a Holiday Inn.

> Also, why would an enlightened person use Google at all when there is
> duckduckgo which doesn't invade your privacy and also doesn't create a false
> world around you?

The search engine someone uses is now fairly irrelevant, since 99% of the sites that they do visit use ad trackers and either GoogleAnalytics or Omniture (owned by Adobe).

-m1