This is what Google told me in June:

Thank you for the time spend over the phone. It was a pleasure talking to
you. I understand you’d like to change your primary domain for your Google
Apps Account, and in order to do so, you need to first remove Device
Management licenses from your current domain. In order to complete this
request, we will need to work with our Product Fulfillment team to handle
the removal of currently provisioned licenses. They will work with you to
complete this request in one of the following ways:

1) Briefly transfer the licenses to a temporary or “dummy” domain, which
can be a subdomain of your current primary domain but cannot be a secondary
domain of the current primary domain and cannot have existing Cdm of Cfm
Licenses. Licenses will be transferred to the new domain once the domain
rename process is complete. This is the preferred and quickest method.

2) Delete all licenses from your current domain. Licenses will be
provisioned to the new domain once the domain rename process is complete.

Please note that you will not need to repurchase your Device Management
licenses. However, you will need to either manually deprovision any
currently enrolled devices or disable FRE from the admin console.
Additionally, you will need to wipe each device, then re-enroll the devices
to the new domain once the rename and license transfer processes are
complete. You will not be able to use any devices in a corp-enrolled or
managed capacity in the interim.

Travis Vigneau
802.752.2607
Network Admin
SATEC VT

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this transmission is
privileged and is confidential information intended only for the use of the