This is what Google told me in June:

Thank you for the time spend over the phone. It was a pleasure talking to you. I understand you’d like to change your primary domain for your Google Apps Account, and in order to do so, you need to first remove Device Management licenses from your current domain. In order to complete this request, we will need to work with our Product Fulfillment team to handle the removal of currently provisioned licenses. They will work with you to complete this request in one of the following ways:

1) Briefly transfer the licenses to a temporary or “dummy” domain, which can be a subdomain of your current primary domain but cannot be a secondary domain of the current primary domain and cannot have existing Cdm of Cfm Licenses. Licenses will be transferred to the new domain once the domain rename process is complete. This is the preferred and quickest method.

2) Delete all licenses from your current domain. Licenses will be provisioned to the new domain once the domain rename process is complete.

Please note that you will not need to repurchase your Device Management licenses. However, you will need to either manually deprovision any currently enrolled devices or disable FRE from the admin console. Additionally, you will need to wipe each device, then re-enroll the devices to the new domain once the rename and license transfer processes are complete. You will not be able to use any devices in a corp-enrolled or managed capacity in the interim.