Hello, and happy Festivus!

In an unfortunate development, in a Facebook
message posted on Dec 19th, a group calling
itself "Commn Decency" has announced a boycott of
the Brooklyn Commons Cafe and Event Space. Here's
the link to
<https://www.facebook.com/CommonDecencyNYC/posts/147266935758426>the
FB post and to their (new)
<https://commondecencynyc.com/2016/12/19/boycott-bk-commons/>website.

Brooklyn for Peace has posted a very good
<http://brooklynpeace.org/?p=5893#more-5893>Statement
of Support  for the Commons on its website, which
I and many other Greens and WBAI folks have
signed. Feel free to sign it and to publicize it more widely.

So-called "Common Decency" is continuing in its
"let me sell you some protection" approach: If
you don't say what we want you to say we'll destroy you.

That approach includes disruption of discussions
at The Commons (in one case, four white people --
including an NYU grad student and author of a new
book on the Occupy movement -- disrupted a
meeting of mostly people of color); physically
attacking The Commons' owner and threatening her
home; sending messages to her teenage relatives
in other states and their classmates saying that
their aunt is a Nazi-supporter and trying to
isolate them as a pressure tactic from their
classmates; spraypainting the outside of the building; and more.

I don't think we should allow Common Decency's
thuggish behavior to go unchallenged.

A number of people in disparate (and sometimes
oppositional) organizations are uniting to
support the Commons against such attacks.

So I am urging you to sign the Brooklyn for Peace
statement, get your groups and organizations to
sign it, and if you are a member of any of the
groups listed for Common Decency (I have in the
past supported one of them) try to get them to reverse course.

Thank you.

Mitchel Cohen

To sign on, please email
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask] .

Statement in Support of Brooklyn Commons and Melissa Ennen

We are extremely concerned about the threat to
the Brooklyn Commons as a space which has housed
and nurtured progressive groups, such as ours
(see below for signers), as well as the personal
attacks on the integrity of Melissa Ennen. This
threat has arisen as a result of the controversy
over her decision to allow Christopher Bollyn to
speak at the Commons on Wednesday September 7.
Since that time, we are aware that there is an
effort to convince groups which use the space at
the Commons to cancel events or even to move
their offices out. Furthermore, rumors are being
spread that Melissa herself holds anti-Semitic, racist or neo-Nazi views.

Melissa has made clear her commitment to the
principle of free speech. (See Statement
<http://thecommonsbrooklyn.org/organizations>“Who
We Are”  posted on Commons website) We may or may
not agree with her about how this principle
applies to a non-governmental space such as the
Commons. However, her stand on this, and her
decision to allow Bollyn to use the space, does
NOT mean that she is in agreement with any of his
ideas or views. We understand that there are
progressive allies who consider it necessary to
erect a “firewall” against speakers such as
Bollyn, who promote anti-Semitism or white
supremacy, often in subtle forms which may be
initially difficult to distinguish. But we
believe it is open to question whether these
views can be counteracted most effectively by not
allowing speakers such as Bollyn to speak, or by
protesting outside his appearances, or by
attending and challenging his statements during
events at which he does speak.

Many of us have known Melissa Ennen for as long
as 14 years.  During that time, her actions have
spoken louder than any words. Some of us met her
in the aftermath of 9/11. She came to a Forum
(January 2002) sponsored by Brooklyn For Peace
attempting to mobilize community response to the
disappearances of our Muslim neighbors, and their
incarceration at the Metropolitan Detention
Center in Sunset Park.  She joined us at weekly
demonstrations in Sunset Park for several
months.  Nothing that she has ever said or done
has in any way indicated that she has any
sympathy for anti-Semitic, racist, or neo-Nazi views.

Since 2010 Melissa has worked tirelessly to
develop the
<http://thecommonsbrooklyn.org/organizations>Brooklyn
Commons as a community center and a home for
progressive groups, offering office and working
space, as well as space for events. This is an
extremely important resource for all of us in
Brooklyn. We can not allow it to be undermined or
destroyed, or allow the questioning of Melissa
Ennen’s integrity to remain unchallenged.

Signed, as of December 22, 2016: (see below if
you wish to add your name or the name of an organization)

Brooklyn For Peace (<http://brooklynpeace.org/?p=5876#more-5876>See statement)
Ann Fawcett Ambia, Brooklyn For Peace Board
Annette Averette, Sixth Street Community Center, Manhattan
Charlene Barker, Brooklyn For Peace Board
George Bartenieff, Theater Three Collaborative
Howard Brandstein, Executive Director, Sixth Street Community Center, Manhattan
John Brinkley, Former Chair, WBAI Local Station
Board* (for identification only)
Brooklyn Greens
Linnea Capps,M.D., Doctors for Global Health* (for identification only)
Mitchel Cohen, Brooklyn Greens; Organizer of
“Phil Ochs Birthday Bash” at The Commons
Committee for Open Discussion of Zionism – CODZorg.net
Randy Credico, Political Comedian (WBAI)
Ken Diamondstone, Brooklyn For Peace Board
Roy Felshin, Antiwar Activist
Henry Florsheim, Brooklyn For Peace Advisory Board
Jaki Florsheim, Brooklyn For Peace Advisory Board
Julianna Forlano, The Julianna Forlano Show (WBAI)
Jim Freund, Producer/Host of Hour of the Wolf on
WBAI-FM; Exec. Curator of New York Review of Science Fiction Readings (NYRSFR)
Ken Gale, Eco-Logic (WBAI)
Terri Ginsberg, Assistant Professor of Film, The
American University in Cairo, Panel Organizer at The Commons
Robert Gold, Former Listener Delegate to the WBAI
Local  Station Board (2007–2010)
Ed Goldman, Fort Greene Peace* (For identification only)
Arnold Gore, Consumers Health Freedom Coalition
Granny Peace Brigade
Naomi Paz Greenberg, Flushing Interfaith Council* (for identification only)
Kevin Gunderson
Abdeen Jabara, Past President, American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee
Jennifer Jager, Former Director, Pacifica Foundation* (For identification only)
Reggie Johnson, From the Soundboard / Liquid sound Lounge (WBAI
John Kane, Host of “Let’s Talk” (WBAI)
Deborah Kapell, Jewish Voice for Peace* (for identification only)
Fran Luck, Producer/Host: Joy of Resistance,
Multicultural Feminist Radio (WBAI)
Alex Mallis, Filmmaker
Karen Malpede, Theater Three Collaborative
Matt Meyer, War Resisters International;
International Peace Research Association
Frances Minichiello, Brooklyn For Peace
Michael Montella, Ishmail Shabazz Defense Fund
No Spray Coalition against pesticides
Bertell Olman, Professor, Deptartment of
Politics, NYU; Speaker on Marxism and Dialectics at The Commons
Charlotte Phillips, M.D., Brooklyn For Peace (Chairperson)
Berthold Reimers, General Manager, WBAI Radio* (For identification only)
Rev Billy & Savitri D., “The Earth Wants YOU” radio show, WBAI
Roberto Rivera, Retired Professor of Mathematics,
C.U.N.Y; Resident of Atlantic Avenue community for over 40 years
Max Schmid, Engineer for WBAI radio; Host of the
show “Golden Age of Radio” for many decades* (For identification only)
Jack Shalom, WBAI volunteer, Commons Cafe customer
Alice Shields, Board of Directors, Association
for the Promotion of New Music (<http://APNM.org/>APNM.org)
Ann and Ahmad Shirazi, Anti-War Activists
Carolina Cositore Sitrin, Author
Michael Steven Smith, Law and Disorder Radio (WBAI)
Paul Stein, Musician
Tony Stanzione, Organization Stanzione Studio
Meg Starr, Resistance in Brooklyn
Theater of the Oppressed Laboratory** (See below for their statement)
Marilyn Vogt-Downey, WBAI Volunteer; student in
Marxist Education Project classes
Matthew Weinstein, Brooklyn For Peace Board
Wheels Collective
Sue Yellin

*For identification only

**Joint Statement from Theater of the Oppressed Laboratory and The Indypendent:
“While TOPLAB and The Indypendent opposed having
Christopher Bollyn as a speaker at The Commons,
we view the choice made by Melissa Ennen as a
political decision. We disagreed with that
decision, yet we nonetheless see the entire issue
as simply that: a political disagreement. To
condemn her, to seek reprisals, to advocate for a
boycott–and possible shutdown–of The Commons is
unfair, politically misguided and gives tangible
support to reactionary right-wing forces who
would seek to eliminate all venues of the left.
For folks who disagree with Melissa’s choice,
keep in mind the numerous areas of shared
affinity and solidarity, over the years, between
left/progressive communities and organizations
and Melissa and The Commons–particularly the
providing of valuable physical space in which to
educate, organize and move forward. Please do not
allow one disagreement to undermine or sabotage this important left resource.”

In Solidarity-
Theater of the Oppressed Laboratory
The Indypendent

NOTE: If you want to add your name as an
individual, or the name of an organization,
please e-mail <mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]