Hi all,

I have a question for TC/EA users.

Over the past four weeks I've been resurrecting from the dead my TC/EA for
water analysis after no use for three years.

The last major issue among a long list of them is that I've experienced
very high CO backgrounds (28/29/30) of >500 mV that don't decrease over
time. H2 backgrounds are very low to be essentially negligible. As I
understand it from the ISOGEOCHEM archives, the glassy carbon tube (GCT)
can react with the ceramic tube to produce CO and Al2. Indeed, when I
removed the GCT, which has only seen about 20 water injections since
installation, the hot zone had large amounts of reaction products, and I
found ash particles in my bottom feed adapter.

My question is: how can the generation of CO be avoided? Both the ceramic
tube and the GCT are new, and I had the same results with an old ceramic
tube/new GCT combo. The high backgrounds are preventing usable data for
d18O, but the d2H data are fine. Both tubes are straight and have no bends
or deformities that would cause contact between them.

Other background: the Helium supply is clean. Backgrounds are very low when
I turn on He dilution in the ConFlo, and backgrounds disappear when I close
the needle valve to mass spec, so I'm pretty sure the CO is coming from the
TC/EA. I have done extensive leak testing and found none. I've baked out
the GC at 150+ degrees many times with no appreciable effect on
backgrounds. The high backgrounds start to appear when reactor temperature
is above 1300 C. Though I don't have all the specs off the top of my head,
the parameters for He flow rate are the same as previously successful runs.
I've removed and reset the GCT/ceramic tube combo about three times to
ensure there wasn't some leak, and each time the high backgrounds return.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt