Dear colleagues and friends,

We would like to invite you to participate in a workshop on May
15-16th 2017, at the British Antarctic Survey, Cambridge, UK:
"Developing the West Antarctic Peninsula International Network as a
Component of the Southern Ocean Observing System". The aims of the
workshop are to share information about the existing sustained
observational programs along the West Antarctic Peninsula and
plans/aspirations for the future.  Please see below for details on the
meeting and how to register.

With best wishes,

Sian Henley

On behalf of the organising committee.

--
West Antarctic Peninsula Working Group Workshop
British Antarctic Survey, Cambridge, UK, 15-16th May 2017

The Southern Ocean Observing System (SOOS) is an international
initiative that aims to facilitate the collection and delivery of
essential observations on variability and change of the Southern Ocean
systems to all international stakeholders through the design, advocacy
and implementation of cost-effective observing and data delivery
systems.

We have been approved to develop a Working Group for the West
Antarctic Peninsula (WAP). This region has an extensive international
presence that currently is distributed with limited coordination.
Improving this coordination is especially important given observed
changes in the physics, chemistry and biology occurring in the WAP
region over the last few decades. We need your help in defining an
optimal WAP component of SOOS, and how it should operate over time to
help the different national programs adopt best practices for
collaborations and data sharing.

We are inviting you to participate in a workshop in May 2017, at the
British Antarctic Survey, Cambridge, UK. The aims of the workshop are
to share information about the existing sustained observational
programs along the WAP and plans/aspirations for their futures, to
discuss how a WAP component of SOOS might be constructed in the
context of these activities, and how such a system might be best
implemented and operated. We will have a number of keynote speakers,
time for discussions, and there will an opportunity for you to present
your research - past, present and future aims - in a poster session.

We are planning to produce a special issue of the Philosophical
Transactions of the Royal Society as a further output from the
meeting, and will be soliciting contributions.

Please register your interest online at https://goo.gl/forms/ExNDjggqWXmcnBZq1
More information is available on the SOOS website at
http://soos.aq/calendar?view=event&cid=87

--
Dr. Sian Henley

NERC Independent Research Fellow
University of Edinburgh, UK

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.