The fans on our UPS's whine at a frequency of a turbo pump that's working too hard--very annoying.

take care,

gerry

On 1/6/2017 8:16 AM, Kevin Dillon wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Neil,

I would think the turbo would run hot if the fan completely failed which will surely shorten its life. You know how much a turbo costs. Our fan started whining last year-  we were also unsure if it was the turbo or the fan but once we pulled the fan it was obvious its bearings were on their way out. You could pull the side and blow air over the area with another fan until you get a replacement. We found the brand name and part# from the fan and ordered a few extras from an electronics vendor.

Good Luck.

Kevin

From: Stable Isotope Geochemistry <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of NEIL OGLE <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, January 6, 2017 6:28:04 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ISOGEOCHEM] Failing fan?

All:

Just wondering if anyone has had the fan inside a Delta V (top of the chimney, beside the turbo) fail.  I cant make up my mind if its the fan or turbo beginning to make periodic rattling noises.  If you've worked in a lab as long as I have you become attuned to background noise and are susceptible to these types of little changes!  As the machine was in hiatus over Christmas with needle valve closed, thought I'd take the opportunity to change the oil in the backing pump and run a hoover over the area.  Im leaning towards the fan as pre-shutdown vacuum was in the mid -8s  and as I've turned everything back on again, the vacuum is coming down as expected.  Ive also done the screwdriver to the ear trick and the pump noise is constant while the chimney seems to confirm my suspicions.  Anyway just seeking any other observations and if it was to fail, say over the weekend, how damaging could this be

Neil

Stable Isotope Facility
School of Natural and Built Enviornment
Queen's University Belfast