Dear Jason,

Pure ethanol may leach out some hydrophobic components, but after decanting and thorough evaporation of the ethanol the bulk organic carbon isotopic value of the residual fossil organic matter will not be affected much. I would be more concerned if the alcohol was denatured and was added in excess. Denatured ethanol contains reactive substances like formaldehyde that can chemically react with the fossil organic matter and thus shift the isotopic composition. Taking a sip of the supernatant alcohol will probably not tell you very much. Maybe a wine or whiskey connoisseur can easily sniff out the difference between pure and denatured alcohol :-).

Best wishes,

Arndt Schimmelmann