From: Stable Isotope Geochemistry [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Dudgeon
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2017 3:07 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ISOGEOCHEM] Effect of and removal of ACRYSOL WS-24 from bone specimens

I am trying to determine the most conservative method for removing an acrylic copolymer dispersion resin, called ACRYSOL WS-24 which has been previously sprayed or dipped on archaeological bone specimens, prior to preparation for isotope, protein and DNA extraction. Has anyone prepared bone specimens previously coated in ACRYSOL and if so, what methods were used to remove the polymer without undue alteration of the bone matrix? Acetone is one solvent that has previously been described (J. Field Archaeology, 1995) as well as unspecified alkaline aqueous preparations (Dow Chemical Technical Data Sheet), but I wanted to see if anyone had successfully used a strategy that was not unduly deleterious to endogenous organic molecules. I imagine the presence of the polymer would affect SI determinations, but have not as yet confirmed this from a chemical formulation.

Sincerely,
John

--
John V. Dudgeon, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Department of Anthropology