By "open" forum I meant that all messages sent to
the ListServ should be able to be read by all
members of the ListServ by default.  As you say,
it takes all of one or two seconds to paste in an
individual's e-mail address into a personal reply
when that is more appropriate and that is what
99.9% of us seem to be able to do routinely
(again, the textbook thread aside).

Steve