By "open" forum I meant that all messages sent to the ListServ should be able to be read by all members of the ListServ by default.  As you say, it takes all of one or two seconds to paste in an individual's e-mail address into a personal reply when that is more appropriate and that is what 99.9% of us seem to be able to do routinely (again, the textbook thread aside).

Steve

David's not suggesting a closed forum, just setting the default to "reply to original poster" rather than "reply to list".
But if that's the default, that's what most people will do and many discussions will inadvertantly turn closed and much information will be lost. Like you say these moments are rare and can be funny by spinning off into other directions.

Also their impact can be minimized with some basic email management skills.

Robert