From: Stable Isotope Geochemistry [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Küter Nico
Sent: 05 January 2017 10:36
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ISOGEOCHEM] Separation of CO and N2 in a GC

Dear Community,

We are curious about an efficient way for separating N2 from CO in a GC to analyze CO for d13C and concentration.

We are already able to separate the species somewhat sufficient with 1) an Agilent 30m GC Carbonplot (0.32mm widebore, 1.5um film) by pushing it far below its lower temperature-limit (-70°C) and 2) quite well with an Agilent 50m PoraplotQ  (0.32mm widebore, 10um film, also at -70°C).  We use a HP 6890 GC that is coupled to a Delta V IRMS.

The important point is that we also need to analyze coexisting CO2, CH4 and C2H6. So these should not get lost during the separation process.

Again, the Poraplot Q does a good job, but we are curious if anyone in this community has experience with other columns or with the N2-CO separation in a GC in general.

Thanks a lot and best wishes for the New Year!
Nico

Nico Kueter
Institute for Geochemistry and Petrology
ETH Zürich
NW E-75.1
Clausiusstrasse 25
8092 Zürich
Switzerland

This email has been scanned for spam and viruses by Proofpoint Essentials. Click here<https://eu1.proofpointessentials.com/index01.php?mod_id=11&mod_option=logitem&mail_id=1483612724-5w8I5E4gtdva&r_address=w.meier-augenstein%40rgu.ac.uk&report=1> to report this email as spam.

Robert Gordon University is the top university for graduate jobs in the UK HESA July 2015

Robert Gordon University, a Scottish charity registered under charity number SC 013781.

This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended recipient(s) only. It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege. It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party. If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Robert Gordon University. Thank you.