Dear Community,

We are curious about an efficient way for separating N2 from CO in a GC to analyze CO for d13C and concentration.

We are already able to separate the species somewhat sufficient with 1) an Agilent 30m GC Carbonplot (0.32mm widebore, 1.5um film) by pushing it far below its lower temperature-limit (-70°C) and 2) quite well with an Agilent 50m PoraplotQ  (0.32mm widebore, 10um film, also at -70°C).  We use a HP 6890 GC that is coupled to a Delta V IRMS.

The important point is that we also need to analyze coexisting CO2, CH4 and C2H6. So these should not get lost during the separation process.

Again, the Poraplot Q does a good job, but we are curious if anyone in this community has experience with other columns or with the N2-CO separation in a GC in general.

Thanks a lot and best wishes for the New Year!

Nico

Nico Kueter
Institute for Geochemistry and Petrology
ETH Zürich
NW E-75.1
Clausiusstrasse 25
8092 Zürich