If a clerk refuses to record a transfer after the mortgage has already been disbursed, and a lien is filed between the date that the clerk refuses the first attempt at recording and the date that the proper form is filed and the documents are accepted, I don’t think a $50 fee will be the worst of our worries.

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Wilmington Town Clerk
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 1:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: PTTR clerk responsibility

Dear Mr. Farnham – again, thank you for your response.  I do understand you have probably been inundated with inquiries.  You now allude to a possible fee being levied for truly intransigent non-compliance.  I still have not seen  the regulation that insists that Town Clerks have the authority to reject based on an “out-dated” form, nor have I seen a regulation that imbues the Tax Dept with authority to levy a penalty fee for non-compliance.  I would very sincerely like to see those statutes or regulations.

Respectfully – Susie Haughwout