From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carol Dawes
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: tax exempt

Hey Nancy,

There are a couple ways a property can be designated as property tax exempt:

  *   Statutory exemption.  If the property qualifies for statutory exemption (see 17 VSA sec. 3802), then the listers or assessor mark it as such in the grand list, and it is exempt from both municipal and education taxes.  By the way, a property can be partially tax exempt – we have a couple buildings in town that are owned by non-profits and qualify for tax exemption, however, portions of the building are rented out to tenants, and those portions are fully taxable.
  *   Voter approved exemption.  If the property doesn’t meet the requirements laid out in the statute cited above, the owners can petition the voters to grant them 10 years of tax exemption, with it renewable in 5 year increments (see 17 VSA sec. 3832).  In these instances, the exemption is only for municipal taxes, and the property is included in the local agreement rate calculations to cover the education taxes.  So the property owner doesn’t pay the education taxes; it’s included in everybody else’s tax bill.

Hope that’s helpful.

Carol

Carolyn S. Dawes CVC CVT
Barre City Clerk/Treasurer