The American Robin count in the Burlington circle CBC was 2160, just short of our record of 2191 set in 2011.

Bruce MacPherson
South Burlington

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Worley <[log in to unmask]>
To: VTBIRD <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Mon, Jan 2, 2017 6:21 pm
Subject: [VTBIRD] Large counts of Robins .....

Hello Ruth,

Thanks for your thoughts and questions below.  I've put together some
numbers which may be helpful.

Large numbers of robins are not uncommon in the Champlain Valley during
the winter months.  At my home on Snake Mountain in Cornwall, given a
good crop of wild food robins are always one of the most common and
abundant birds during the winter.

The numbers that have been posted so far for this season's CBCs have a
total of 5677 robins for the Middlebury CBC and 1994 for the Ferrisburg
CBC (the highest robin count for Ferrisburg was 3849 a few years ago, I
believe).  The Hinesburg Count will be over 4000 for this year.

Perhaps the other CBC circles can provide numbers from this year, and
other years of note.

Here is a list of eBird checklists counts of 500 or more robins, for all
of Vermont since 2002.  Note that they are all in the Champlain Valley
and winter (except one count in April).  All are from 2011 to the
present.  In the history of eBird in Vermont, it seems to be the case
that birders in recent times have become more able and willing to count
large assemblages of birds.  If that is true, that might play some role
in the absence of large numbers being recorded in earlier decades.

I know nothing about Robin count trends anywhere else.  Perhaps someone
else can provide that information.

6035    16-Feb-14    Charlotte    Robin lane,Charlotte ,west side of
Lake Rd.
3500    31-Dec-16    Monkton    Mountain Road, Monkton (that CBC sector
had about 3900 robins)
1533    7-Dec-16    Monkton    Monkton
1252    27-Dec-11    Charlotte    Charlotte Town Hall
1200    13-Apr-13    Huntington    Brace Farm, Huntington Center
1139    14-Dec-13    Ferrisburgh    Ferrisburgh CBC-sector 10a
1016    7-Feb-14    Middlebury    Otter View Park
800    17-Feb-14    Charlotte    Charlotte Ferry Landing - McNeil Cove
800    22-Feb-14    Grand Isle    orchard (SW grand isle)
625    1-Mar-12    South Burlington    Technology Park
600    7-Feb-14   Cornwall    Southern end of Snake Mtn. Cornwall/Bridport
552    1-Feb-14    Whiting    Richville Rd, Whiting
550    18-Jan-12    Bingham    Bingham Shore/Georgia Shore Road
530    17-Dec-11    Ferrisburgh    Christmas Bird Count(Ferrisburgh)-
Section 2 (Button Bay Area)
525    25-Feb-12    South Burlington    Technology Park

Ian