The Snowy remains on Young Island, but was well hidden in the rocks on Sunday, emerging at dusk. While searching for the owl at mid-day, I saw a shrike drop from a limb of a large oak tree just north of the lakeside deck at 12 Adams Landing Road. The shrike caught a vole, flew into a lilac tree just north of the driveway, wedged the hindquarters of the vole between two limbs, and had a hearty lunch. Several hours later, I went to inspect the kill, but the shrike came from nowhere to let me know that it wasn't finished.

Dave Capen

Sent from my iPhone