Hello all,

I decided to go owling this morning because there was virtually no wind. I tallied 8 owls with 5 different species & all in Chittenden County. My first stop was at 1:03 a.m. on Pond Rd. in Shelburne, near the one car parking space next to the marshy area. I solicited a Northern Saw-whet Owl and got a response hearing a whine-like single call about 50' away. I heard the same type of call 11 minutes later but it was about 200 yards away. My next owl was heard at 2:21 a.m. about 2 minutes after soliciting an Eastern Screech-Owl while parked in the Shelburne Beach parking lot. Its' response was a very subdued trill, likely because of its' close proximity to me. My next owl was seen at 2:32 a.m. perched on a tree limb on the west side of Greenbush Rd., about 100 yards south of Orchard Rd. After spotting it, I stopped my vehicle, got it in my bins and saw that it was a Long-eared Owl!! I was only able to observe it for about 10 seconds before it flew into the woods on the right side of the road. My next owl was heard at 3:17 a.m. when I stepped out of my vehicle after parking in the Converse Bay parking lot. A Barred Owl sang immediately and it was unsolicited. My next owl was another Barred Owl spotted @ 3:36 a.m. while driving north along Orchard Rd. in Shelburne. It was perched on a tree limb on the left side of the road. My next owl was yet another Barred Owl that flew across Irish Hill Rd. in front of me at 4:34 a.m. My next owl was heard at 5:29 a.m. after parking my vehicle at the end of Lagoon Rd. in Hinesburg. I listened for about a minute before I heard a Great Horned Owl sing. I could just barely hear it as it was quite a distance away. My last owl was seen perched on a tree branch while walking back from the Colchester Causeway, on the right side of the path at 9:06 a.m. A man was standing in the path ahead of me and when I reached him, he showed me the bird. He lives nearby and first saw it in his back yard. It then flew to where I saw it. He told me that it was the first owl he had ever seen. It too was another Barred Owl.
I don't think I ever had 5 different species of owls during a single owling outing.

Enjoy Birds,

Jim Mead