Hello,

I would like to draw your attention to a session which we are organising
at this year's Goldschmidt conference on "The future of biogeochemical
cycling in the polar regions
<https://goldschmidt.info/2017/program/programViewThemes>".  The keynote
speaker
will be *Jorien Vonk* (Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam). Abstract deadline
is 1 April.

"The Polar regions are currently experiencing a period of warming,
resulting in the retreat of glaciers, an increase in the active layer
depth of permafrost and a changing hydrological cycle. Decreased
permafrost cover is expected to increase overall fluxes of solutes as
the active layer deepens. Likewise, solute fluxes from glaciers are
predicted to increase by virtue of the increased discharge as a result
of a longer melt season. As highlighted in the recent 2016 Arctic
Freshwater Synthesis report, the interplay between hydrology,
microbiology and geochemistry in controlling the flux of inorganic and
organic solutes and the downstream impacts on freshwater ecosystems is
uncertain. For example, will changing environmental conditions (e.g.
hydrology) influence the cycling of metals (e.g., calcium and iron) and
carbon (inorganic and organic) and in turn, the microbial communities
which mediate many of the chemical reactions occurring in these
environments? In this session we invite contributions from geochemistry,
hydrochemistry, modelling and microbiology: essentially from all
researchers seeking to understand biogeochemical cycling in these
special environments with the aim of promoting dialogue between often
separate disciplines."

The Goldschmidt conference <https://goldschmidt.info/2017/> will be held
in Paris, France,  13-18 August.

We hope to see many of you in Paris!