Dear colleagues,

Abstract submission is open now for Goldschmidt 2017 (August 13-18, in
Paris, France). We sincerely ask you to consider to submit an abstract
to our session 11c “ORGANO-MINERAL ASSOCIATIONS IN SOILS AND SEDIMENTS”,
intended for scientists working in the terrestrial as well as aquatic
environments and to highlight studies focusing on organic matter-mineral
interactions using molecular, spectroscopic or isotopic techniques, with
Laurent Remusat as key-note speaker. You may find the full session page
at > https://goldschmidt.info/2017/program/programViewThemes

The abstract deadline is *April 1st.*

Look forward to seeing you in Paris!

Sincerely,

Ingrid, Johannes, Cornelia and Rota

*Session 11c: Organo-mineral associations in soils and sediments*

Convenors: Ingrid Kögel-Knabner, Johannes Lehmann, Cornelia Rumpel, Rota
Wagai

Key-note: Laurent Remusat

Organic matter plays a key role in biogeochemical processes in soils and
sediments through its interactions with minerals, and associated
formation of physical structures providing the habitats sustaining
microbial communities. This session will explore the mechanisms of soil
and sedimentary organic matter association with the mineral phase at
different spatial and temporal scales. Special emphasis will be put on
the role of different soil weathering and redox environments and the
resulting mineral assemblage for binding of organic matter and
interaction with microbial necromass and exudates. We invite
contributions with emergent analytical tools to provide novel insights
on organic matter-mineral interactions and their impact on the fate of
organic matter in soils and sediments. Potential topics include (but are
not limited to): 2D and 3D fine scale investigations on organic-mineral
interactions, biomarkers and molecular composition of mineral-associated
organic matter in soils and sediments, and organic matter turnover
examined by isotopic tracing experiments, radiocarbon and
component-specific isotope analyses.