Dear colleagues,

Abstract submission is open now for Goldschmidt 2017 (August 13-18, in Paris, France). We sincerely ask you to consider to submit an abstract to our session 11c “ORGANO-MINERAL ASSOCIATIONS IN SOILS AND SEDIMENTS”, intended for scientists working in the terrestrial as well as aquatic environments and to highlight studies focusing on organic matter-mineral interactions using molecular, spectroscopic or isotopic techniques, with Laurent Remusat as key-note speaker. You may find the full session page at > https://goldschmidt.info/2017/program/programViewThemes

 The abstract deadline is April 1st.

Look forward to seeing you in Paris!

Sincerely,

Ingrid, Johannes, Cornelia and Rota

Session 11c: Organo-mineral associations in soils and sediments

Convenors: Ingrid Kögel-Knabner, Johannes Lehmann, Cornelia Rumpel, Rota Wagai

Key-note: Laurent Remusat

Organic matter plays a key role in biogeochemical processes in soils and sediments through its interactions with minerals, and associated formation of physical structures providing the habitats sustaining microbial communities. This session will explore the mechanisms of soil and sedimentary organic matter association with the mineral phase at different spatial and temporal scales. Special emphasis will be put on the role of different soil weathering and redox environments and the resulting mineral assemblage for binding of organic matter and interaction with microbial necromass and exudates. We invite contributions with emergent analytical tools to provide novel insights on organic matter-mineral interactions and their impact on the fate of organic matter in soils and sediments. Potential topics include (but are not limited to): 2D and 3D fine scale investigations on organic-mineral interactions, biomarkers and molecular composition of mineral-associated organic matter in soils and sediments, and organic matter turnover examined by isotopic tracing experiments, radiocarbon and component-specific isotope analyses.