Dear all,

For years we've been reacting powdered carbonate samples in a common acid bath at 90 degrees C, with a small, spherical glass bead placed over each sample to prevent powder projections. I recently realized that I don't know if these beads are made of soda-lime glass or borosilicate glass.

Does anyone have words of wisdom to share regarding the chemical reactivity of soda-lime glass in hot, pure phosphoric acid over durations of up to 48 hours?

Thanks in advance,

– Mathieu Daëron
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique