In our experience the post dose enrichment in DLW and TBW experiments
leads to a deuterium delta value of ca. 800 permil. It is of course
dependent on the dose given to the subject and their actual TBW. So you
have to expect some to be quite a bit higher. In most cases researchers
use 0.07 g/Kg of body weight for the dosing of the D2O. This means that
for an 80 Kg adult they will get 5.6 g of D2O which will be then diluted
in 40 Kg of water (assuming subjects are 50% water). The calculated
delta value (assuming the natural body water is -50 permil) for such a
dilution would be 758 permil.

So if you used a dose of 0.15 g D2O per Kg body weight (i.e. you give
them 12 g of D2O) you would get a calculated (i.e. expected) delta value
of 1681 permil for an 80 Kg subject.

We use our own prepared standards to cover the range (the upper standard
having a calibrated deuterium value of 1701 permil).

Steve

Steven Brookes, PhD
Director
--