Dear colleagues,

We are glad to remind you about the workshop on

 Isotope-based studies of water partitioning and plant-soil interactions in forested and agricultural environments

which will take place on 27-29 September 2017 at Villa Montepaldi, San Casciano in Val di Pesa, Florence, Italy.

The interdisciplinary nature, at the interface of hydrology, soil science and plant physiology, and the informal atmosphere of the workshop will stimulate engaged discussions and foster experience sharing on the hydrological and eco-physiological mechanisms that regulate water use by vegetation, and on the methodological approaches for sampling and analysing water stable isotopes in ecohydrological compartments.

Here some news! In addition to the already announced oral presentations (15 min.) and mini-talks (5 min.), we will organize small discussion groups, each led by a coordinator on specific key topics. The topics will be selected according to the interests of participants and may include: characterizing spatiotemporal variability in plant water and soil water isotopic composition; methodological issues in extracting sap water and soil water, and in analyzing plant samples with mass spectrometry and laser spectroscopy; methods to assess how old is the water stored in plants; use of additional ecohydrological tracers. Significant outcomes and research needs emerging from the discussion groups will support the preparation of one or more short papers that that will be submitted to Science of the Total Environment as Short Communications, and/or to Plant and Soil as Mini Reviews.

We remind you that before April 3rd, you can register as early bird (regular 210 €; 110 € for students). The fee includes transportation from the selected accommodations to the workshop venue, lunches on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, coffee breaks in the morning and afternoon, and a pizza and wine party on Thursday evening. The fee for accompanying persons includes only the pizza and wine party.

Abstract deadline is on 6 March 2017.

Please see the attached flyer and visit the webpage www.workshop-water-partitioning.unifi.it (or www.gesaaf.unifi.it/cmpro-v-p-375.html) for further details on abstract submission, registration and conference venue.

We look forward to seeing you in Tuscany!

With best wishes,

Daniele Penna, Luisa Hopp, Francesca Scandellari and Yamuna Giambastiani

In case of questions, please contact us at [log in to unmask]

Scientific Committee of the workshop "Isotope-based studies of water partitioning and plant-soil interactions in forested and agricultural environments".

 San Casciano Val di Pesa, Tuscany, Italy, 27-29 September 2017.