Jeff,

I purchased inconel inserts like Michael.  I still use the quartz inserts for biological and most geological samples but use the inconel ones for acidified or marine samples.  I cut about 0.5cm off the inconel inserts so that they are the same length as the quartz inserts so that I can swap them as needed.  I also removed the tabs that are meant to hold the quartz wool plug.  With the tabs in place de-ashing the inserts was a pain.

Jason

Jason Curtis, Ph.D.
Stable Isotope Mass Spec Lab manager
Senior Associate-In Geochemistry