Hi All,

Sorry to flood your inboxes.  I need a Postdoc to work on a 3 year project at Wesleyan University.  Please see ad below.  Please forward to any recent PhDs you know that might be interested.

Cheers,
Jim

Dr. James P. Greenwood
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Earth & Environmental Sciences
Wesleyan University
Middletown, CT 06459
Associate Guest Editor, Geochemical Journal

JOB POSTING:  POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE AT WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY

            We seek a postdoctoral research associate with an expertise in experimental petrology/geochemistry to undertake experimental reproduction of chondrule textures and their isotope geochemistry to work under the direction of Prof. James Greenwood and Prof. William Herbst to test the Radiative Model for chondrule formation (Herbst and Greenwood, 2016, Icarus).  We need an independent-minded scientist capable of taking control of this project and elevating it to new heights, as well as not being afraid to prove this model wrong.  We have funding for up to 3 years for this NASA-funded project, and the position has an anticipated start date of July 2017 or earlier.  Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience.

            We have a unique Planetary Sciences group that is one of the strongest research groups at Wesleyan University, with 3 astronomy (W. Herbst, S. Redfield, M. Hughes) and 2 geology professors (J. Greenwood and M. Gilmore), as well as a number of other professors in different departments.  Teaching opportunities may exist as well, for the applicant that is interested in teaching at a high-level liberal arts university.  Opportunities may also exist for collaborative research at Yale University in the laboratory of Shun Karato.

Minimum Qualifications:  PhD in experimental petrology or experimental geochemistry.  Expertise with gas-mixing 1 atm furnaces a plus, but not required.  Knowledge of meteorites also a plus, but not required.

Wesleyan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.