Mathieu,
hot (>200C) and fluoride containing concentrated phosphoric acid is said to
etch glass.
Somehow silicon phosphate seems to form, faster with increasing
polymerization degree of the acid.
[N.H. Ray, The action of phosphoric acid on glass, J.Non-Cryst Solids 5
(1970), 71.]
This said, I never observed anything odd with glassware preparing my own
acid (H3PO4/P2O5, 240 C, overnight) and less in any carbonate digestion.
cheers
Chris

> Dear all,
>
> For years we've been reacting powdered carbonate samples in a common acid
> bath at 90 degrees C, with a small, spherical glass bead placed over each
> sample to prevent powder projections. I recently realized that I don't know
> if these beads are made of soda-lime glass or borosilicate glass.
>
> Does anyone have words of wisdom to share regarding the chemical
> reactivity of soda-lime glass in hot, pure phosphoric acid over durations
> of up to 48 hours?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> – Mathieu Daëron
> Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique
> Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l'Environnement

*University of Tasmania │CSL - Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometry*

Dr. Christian Dietz, Facility Manager *│*Private Bag 74, Hobart, 7005
Tasmania

 ( Tel: (+61) 3 6226 7820, cell phone: (+61) 4 9780 8570 *│*URL: Central
Science Laboratory
<http://www.utas.edu.au/research/central-science-laboratory>

This message is intended exclusively for its adressee and may contain
immediately notify us via e-mail and delete.