Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to a session we are organizing at this
year's Goldschmidt conference on “13g.Understanding the role of organic
matter in the fate and behavior of trace metals, rare earth elements and
radionuclides' <https://goldschmidt.info/2017/program/programViewThemes> in
Paris (August 13-18). Abstract submission is open until April 1st.

Convenors: Sylvain Bouchet
<https://goldschmidt.info/2017//userView?userId=flyinvaLLobhpurgKKrnjntLLpu>
, Miling Li
<https://goldschmidt.info/2017//userView?userId=zvyvatyvKKznvyLLuneineqLLrqh>
, Susan Cumberland
<https://goldschmidt.info/2017//userView?userId=fhfnaLLphzoreynaqKKflapuebgebaLLbetLLnh>
, Bree Morgan
<https://goldschmidt.info/2017//userView?userId=oerrLLzbetnaKKzbanfuLLrqh>

Keynote: Marc Benedetti (Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris)

Session 13g:
The influence of organic matter (OM) in the biogeochemical cycles of trace
elements has been recognized for a long time. The quantity and composition
of OM play a crucial role in the fate of toxic and/or essential trace
metals (e.g., Hg, Cu) and metalloids (e.g., As, Se). Indeed, OM composition
and/or its sources have shown strong influence on processes that control
trace element partitioning, transport, bioavailability, transformations and
bioaccumulation. The processes by which metals are trapped by organic
matter may be mediated by reaction with redox-sensitive minerals or by
microorganisms, and are relevant to many processes of applied interest such
as ore deposit formation (e.g. sediment-hosted U). Studies of organic–metal
associations in purely natural systems, and those that have been
anthropogenically perturbed, can provide valuable insights into managing
natural resources (e.g., soils) and remediating contaminated sites. This
session tackles questions such as: How does organic matter, whether
colloidal, particulate or, solid, affect the geochemistry of metals, REE,
radionuclides and other environmentally and industrially important
elements? We invite contributions on recent scientific advances in
methodologies and applications and on the role of OM in the biogeochemical
cycling of trace elements such as U and other radionuclides, metals,
metalloids and REE(+Y), which can be used to trace or contribute to
environmental contamination, or have economic significance. We also welcome
studies focusing on the interaction between trace elements and OM under a
variety of environmental changes such as climate change and eutrophication
which are predicted to significantly modify OM contents and compositions.

Best regards,

Bree, Miling, Susan, and Sylvain.

--
Miling Li, Sc.D.