Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to a session we are organizing at this year's Goldschmidt conference on
“13g.Understanding the role of organic matter in the fate and behavior of trace metals, rare earth elements and radionuclides' in Paris (August 13-18). Abstract submission is open until April 1st.

Convenors: Sylvain BouchetMiling LiSusan CumberlandBree Morgan

Keynote: Marc Benedetti (Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris)

Session 13g:
The influence of organic matter (OM) in the biogeochemical cycles of trace elements has been recognized for a long time. The quantity and composition of OM play a crucial role in the fate of toxic and/or essential trace metals (e.g., Hg, Cu) and metalloids (e.g., As, Se). Indeed, OM composition and/or its sources have shown strong influence on processes that control trace element partitioning, transport, bioavailability, transformations and bioaccumulation. The processes by which metals are trapped by organic matter may be mediated by reaction with redox-sensitive minerals or by microorganisms, and are relevant to many processes of applied interest such as ore deposit formation (e.g. sediment-hosted U). Studies of organic–metal associations in purely natural systems, and those that have been anthropogenically perturbed, can provide valuable insights into managing natural resources (e.g., soils) and remediating contaminated sites. This session tackles questions such as: How does organic matter, whether colloidal, particulate or, solid, affect the geochemistry of metals, REE, radionuclides and other environmentally and industrially important elements? We invite contributions on recent scientific advances in methodologies and applications and on the role of OM in the biogeochemical cycling of trace elements such as U and other radionuclides, metals, metalloids and REE(+Y), which can be used to trace or contribute to environmental contamination, or have economic significance. We also welcome studies focusing on the interaction between trace elements and OM under a variety of environmental changes such as climate change and eutrophication which are predicted to significantly modify OM contents and compositions.

Best regards,

Bree, Miling, Susan, and Sylvain.

--
Miling Li, Sc.D.