We have a Mitel system purchased from Mountain Telecom.  It's an extremely
powerful system.  From a management perspective it's definitely more
complex than the 3com system it replaced.  Never the less, I do manage it,
it's not that tough, and they'll train you when they install it.  Mitel
gives huge discounts to schools when they quote these things, you might be
surprised what it costs if you've gotten estimates from others.  Mtn's
quote was a third less than all the others I got.

When we bought this thing 3 years ago, I crunched some numbers, hosted VOIP
vs a PBX, and a PBX pays for itself pretty quickly, unless I looked at the
price of service after erate discounts instead of before.  I opted to go
with this, and then next thing I knew erate changed and the voice subsidies
started tailing off.  We'd be spending $40k a year on our phone bill
instead of $4k if I had this many extensions on a hosted service now, so I
was extremely relieved I went this route.