We have a WAN linking all the schools, so we could actually run the whole
system with just one PBX if we chose to.  The PBX also supports internet
based extensions, with the right ports open in the firewall, I could take
my phone home, plug it in, and it would work there, too.  But we haven't
gone down that road at this point.