The way we achieve E911 compliance is this.  We have direct inward dialing, so every extension has it's own 10 digit number, even though there's really only 23 lines (a PRI) into the system, and 300+ extensions.  That DID number, along with it's location, down to the room, it what's sent to E911 by our phone service provider, Sovernet, if a call goes out.  It's not done on the fly, I have to tell Sovernet when an extension gets moved, and they update some database in their switch.  So if I just took the phone home for a day or two and didn't tell Sovernet about it, no, but if I put one at my house long term, and told Sovernet I did it, and gave the me the address of the house, then yes.  So if, for instance, we wanted to put extensions at an office so small we didn't want to connect them to the WAN, we just wanted to get them internet service, that would be workable.

I'm sure the system has other ways of achieving compliance, so if you don't have DID, you can still do it, but I haven't looked into it, this is the way we were doing it with the old system, so we just kept doing it.  I don't think there's any way it could pick out your address from the IP address, for instance, but there's probably a way the system could send the E911 info to Sovernet when the call goes through, and then have them forward that, so if I took the extension home and updated a table within the system, instead of having to tell Sovernet about it, then it would work, but I really haven't looked into it.