Within the administration at BUHS district #6, we've been discussing the recent memo from the AOE revising their guidance on the use of preferred names and genders vs legal names and birth gender for transgendered students, which has led us to think about how we use student preferred names and legal names more generally.  I was wondering, and I'm mostly curious about schools that include any of grades 9-12: within your student information systems, do you track preferred names, or legal names, or both?  If both, does everyone who uses the system have access to both, or is one or the other on an as needed basis?  Do any of you have a written policy on how student names are used?

--
Bob Wickberg
Technology Coordinator