We have Powerschool, too.  I was actually thinking we might use first_name and last_name for the preferred name, and create a legal_name field, rather than the other way around, because the majority of the people who use powerschool probably don't really need to see the legal name: most teachers, librarians, security staff, attendance clerks, cafeteria cashiers, and even, apparently, the person who does the state census, because the memo implies the state is willing to go by the preferred name.

We're thinking we can't just add preferred name to a lot of reports and screens in Powerschool, though, because if the legal name is Colleen and the preferred name is Colin (not anyone's real name, I made that up), that's kind of a giveaway that  the person is transgendered, and we don't want to out anyone who doesn't want to be out about their status.

But I'm wondering what others are doing, so thanks for the reply.